12/22/08

A Year Without Gifts

Yesterday was a Sunday like most. For those of you who don't know I am the Primary President in our ward. And for those of you who don't know I struggle with callings. I struggle mentally with all the things I could be doing and am not doing my best with. I could post pages on this subject but wont. My journal and thoughts are filled.



When I say yesterday was a Sunday like most that means that a few of the classes were left with no teachers. Not a big deal as I've settled in and learned to expect that it will happen. Usually at least one of the classes ends up being taught by a counselor because I am already tied up with other duties. This Sunday was an exception so I jumped at the chance to teach CTR 6.





I was so grateful to actually get to be with them. I actually felt like I was fullfilling my calling, that this was the most important thing I could do. I was grateful to get to know the dynamics of the class and interact with each child. The part of my calling that I don't get to experience as much as I should. I loved it, I learned a lot and hopefully this chronic class without a teacher will get more love and consistency next year. (That's you Maele :) It was so nice to be with the children, and to not be stressed by minor details.



As a last minute lesson I grabbed a short movie on Christs birth, sang Christmas songs from the Songbook, a previous December Friend to read stories, and ended up with them coloring their favorite scene of the story of Christs birth and had them present it to the class. Relief Society passed out journals and 2 cookies each so my little class broke up the 2 cookies into quarters and had a little bite size snack. We talked about the sharing time activity and the gifts they made to give to Christ. Being kind to others, sharing, and even a Book of Mormon. I mean Jesus probably would want a Book of Mormon :) Don't you think??



The story we read from the Friend was this. A Year Without Gifts. Its not a necessarily touching story but I felt an overwhelming inspiration to make the change this upcoming year, along with all the other things I have been pondering and already been changing in my life, and my families. My sister and I already desired to do something different and are getting supplies for Humanitarian and Newborn kits for our Christmas this year. But I know my family will be blessed as we do something more. As we make our lives what we want them to be instead of just hoping for things to be different. I again could post pages on my feelings on this subject. I want myself and my family to be producers, to be thoughtful,aware of the environment, self reliant, and giving.





Wait a minute!” Robbin exclaimed. “No presents? None at all?”
“I didn’t say no presents,” Mom said. “We’re not buying any presents. This year, we’re going to make presents for each other.”



And not just at Christmas but all year round. My children can buy minimal supplies to make gifts and I'm throwing in the clause that gently used gifts are acceptable. That's my selfish desire since I love buying used books at the Thrift Store. Gifts of time and service are welcome, and food items to make small celebrations and keep traditions is ok.




“He who gives money gives much, he who gives time gives more, but he who gives of himself gives all. Let this be a description of our Christmas gifts.”

President Thomas S. Monson



We'll see how it goes. I definetly am not expecting it to be life changing but want my children to understand on a personal level that their life can be things of stories.

4 comments:

AudyCamp said...

I love that quote from President Monson...I'm stealing it. Rachael I know you're a perfectionist in a lot of ways and yet often feel inadequate in things (as many of us do)...but just read your post again in a week or so & you'll realize how amazing you really are. I'm sure a great Primary President! Merry Christmas.

Unknown said...

You are so giving...I know this will come easier for you then most :) Maybe I can learn a few things!

Jill said...

Rachel you are a very good Primary President, just so you know. You do a great job and what matters most is that the kids and teachers see and feel that you care and you love the Lord. You are such an amazing example. I love your year without presents...we might have to try that too. Thanks for all you do and being you!

ma'elePHOTO said...

Phew... when you didn't hand me that manual on Sun I was getting kindof worried! lol! I am so excited to get to teach the 6 year olds. I love your 'no presents' idea. I was thinking the same thing as I was wrapping xmas gifts this year. Contemplating how I could give them something that would resonate something positive and thought provoking, inviting them to seek service rather than gifts. I love it. Mind if I copy this for my own fam???

I second Jill. You're awesome with the kids and a GREAT president!