The lesson plan has me get 5 toy cars out. I then demonstrate to my five year old how I choose 3 cars that are red and set them in a group on one side of the table. The remaining cars that are not red I set on the other side of the table. The 3 cars are the same because they are red and the other cars are different because they are not red. We bring them back together into one group. I ask my son to put all the cars with rearview mirrors in one group and the one's without rearview mirrors in another group. Then we talk about what is called the sorting rule. Pretty easy! I thought, "My son already knows this. We should just skip this." On second thought maybe it isn't so easy. Maybe I really don't understand what this sorting rule is all about. I probably am not ready to be grouped.
David B. Haight spoke about what sets us apart:
"Our youth, with all of their distractions, must realize that through their membership they are very special; that the Lord is counting on them that the prophecies might be fulfilled. You of a noble birthright are different from your friends who are not members of Christ’s true church. You are a “chosen generation.” You live “in the world,” but you do not follow worldly trends or habits which are contrary to your beliefs. May I remind you of only a few of the very special events in your life that cause you to be different. You have made some promises, and some eternal promises have been made to you. "
I am an easily distracted woman and do I follow worldly trends or habits? I do. Those contraty to my beliefs? Not really. But sometimes, without even realizing it. Today, I will try to stand taller and be aware that I am to be a light. Would a stranger know I am a Christian woman?
Elder Haight also reminds us:
Peter ... to help us understand who we are when he wrote: “But ye are a chosen generation, a royal priesthood, an holy nation, a peculiar people;” and as a chosen and peculiar people, “… ye should shew forth the praises of him who hath called you out of darkness into his marvellous light” (1 Pet. 2:9)
What if we did something different today? What if we treated our scriptures like our cell phone and laptop? What if we opened our scriptures as much as we flip open our computer? Or use prayer as much as we talk on our cell? What if we treated our children as nicely as our friends? What if I just BE different? I wonder what group I would be sorted in to then....
*For a different Giveaway...Go Here*
2 comments:
Needed to hear this today. Thanks.
Great post with great reminders about the need to stand apart. Thanks for taking the time to write it.
Post a Comment