got this cork board as a hand me down almost 2 years ago from my step mom and it has been a staple in our household. It holds all art and is randomly decorated for holidays reminiscent of elementary classroom boards. On the other side of this window is another staple of our house, our white board.It's practically the exact same size. This holds quotes, notes, and to do lists depending on the need but we use this daily and last year spruced it up with some vinyl from JoAnn's for $10. It had all the colors I wanted to start incorporating in the house.
First I taped off the cork portion of the board and spray painted the frame black.
Then I pulled up the tape and paper and taped off the frame.
Then I applied spray adhesive to the cork and starting from the top and working down slowly layed the muslin over the cork. I also had a pizza crust/pastry roller I had picked up at the di for change that i used to push out any bubbles as I went along.
What Next?I then used an exacto knife to get a nice clean edge along the inside of the frame.
Learn from my mistake moment...The ends didn't seem like they had gotten enough adhesive so I lifted the ends up and sprayed some more. Aaahhh..too much! With the thinness of the fabric we were going to have a problem with the bottom. There were quite a few globs of glue showing through that were not going to dry clear or unnoticeable.
Waa Laa ...the ruffle and flower. It's not a real ruffle because I wasn't sure I had enough muslin left to make the size I needed. Just one seam down a folded over piece of muslin, and some hot glue. It's a little more cutesy than I had planned but solved the problem! (The flower is 2 layers muslin, 1 burlap, and a vintage button center.) The pics don't give it justice, I was taking them in the worst lighting. p>
I had planned on using fabric paint to write Ray's Art Gallery or something like the sort on top but felt like with the new accessory on bottom that would be too much and distracting from all the paper work that usually takes up all the space...What do you think...Go for the wording, or fine as is?? Any ideas for cute push pins?
Next time: I would wait for the frame to dry longer...I am not so patient. I spent 10 minutes touching up ripped up black paint...oh well...next time :)
2 comments:
I love this! It turned out so cute!
so so cute!! I have a corkboard sitting in my closet unused and this is perfect!! I say no writing on the top it is too cute as it is! by the way i thought you stopped blogging it was a fun and pleasant surprise to check it and see you have a ton of posts!
Post a Comment