
This morning I was given the opportunity to help spread the word in our community about Prop 8 that will be coming up on the ballot in November here in California. A sad
:( number from our ward showed up to do their part as asked by the First Presidency of the church.
I was lucky enough to go with an awesome sister in our ward that I have loved from our first visiting teaching experience togehter years ago. This sister who has plantar fasciitis and heel spurrs, and whose husband was at work and found someone to watch her 4 little girls ;came and pushed through walking up and down streets for 2 1/2 hours in the blazing sun with no complaints. What a faithful daughter. She is always sacrificial but happy. Such an example to me...
And what an adventure we had! Full on running from a crazy dog, people thinking we were "together", a super friendly lady who had to put her teeth in, someone saying they were calling the cops...It was actually pretty fun...
For those of you that don't know much about this proposition,
Click on the Title Link.
"California voters passed Proposition 22 in 2000 by more than 61%, saying that a marriage in California is between a man and a woman. Earlier this year, four activist judges based in San Francisco wrongly overturned the people's vote, legalizing same-sex marriage!!"
It's not just about same sex marriage - as if that's not enough!
It overturns the outrageous decision of four activist Supreme Court judges who ignored the will of the people. AND
It protects our children from being taught in public schools that “same-sex marriage” is the same as traditional marriage.
There were quite a few people who said "let them live their lives". When we explained that children in public schools could be taught about same sex marriage most of them quickly changed their minds.
I am so glad I had this chance to be involved and help people be informed and hopefully together we will make a stand!!
7 comments:
ahhhhhhh Rachael, good for you! I'm so guilty of letting things go, assuming somebody with less kids will go and represent. You are awesome!
Wish I was there!
Good for you for getting out there. You would be so good at that...Lacey has been going door to door as well. I wish I could as well to do my part.. Seriously as if the legalization of same sex marriage was not enough BUT losing these freedoms would change our society!! It is SUCH a battle of religious freedoms...and freedoms that even our church will lose! Ughhh!! So scary to visually see that these are the last days!
I am so proud of you! I remember when you got to go down to Honolulu and protest same-sex marriage but I wasn't allowed to miss school. Thanks for doing your part! In sunday school somebody made a comment about following the prophet with exactness and that some people in California were not doing that. Keep being a great example and sharing on your blog.
Way to go honey.. Wish I was there, but I was helpin a friend in need.. You are great!!!
Hi Rachael.
I love your blog. You are involved in so many wonderful things. Keep up the good work.
Luv,
Paula Cooper-Ough
Texas Nani
Wow, how did I become anonymous?
Post a Comment