BUT...if I did have EVERYthing you ever wanted that money CAN buy I don't THINK I would want a silver straw? Would I? What does that taste like? Does your Sprite taste all metallic like? I'm sure Oprah does NOT drink Sprite. I'm trying to remember if I've ever drinken out of a silver cup? Cleaning one? I'm sure it must be washed by hand. Do you have to buy a special silver straw cleaner? Anyways, thats very eco friendly of Ms.Oprah not filling up the landfills with horrible plastic straws. I'm serious. Very eco friendly(and posh). Dont let me tell you about the silver chip fork. I would actually want one of those. In post consumer recycled plastic please. Red. Thank you.
Anyways. I cant imagine ever having EVERYthing that money CAN buy. I know I wouldn't buy a silver straw but Oprah most likely will never buy clean matching car seats. We all have our wants. Material things that fill our material holes.
I wonder if Oprah remembers being poor? Was she too young? I think there is a significant perception difference being poor when a kid versus becoming poor when an adult. When she was poor did she ever look at someone and think..If I had that kind of money I would NOT spend my money on that. I do that all the time and vow to make changes in spending habits.
Our family feels poor right now. We are not poor at all. Our world view is constantly in conflict. Having an income change has been a blessing and benefit to my outlook. Will it fade?
Two years ago I would have just spent less on eating out and shopped cleaner/greener for my house(decor, clothes, etc...) and had a garden. We tried, failed, and gave up.
I would have saved.
And played simpler.
I know many of you out there are struggling financially. Pay cuts, lost jobs, mortgage increases. Hindsight is 20/20.Tell me: What are the top 3 spending habits you would have seriously changed 2 years ago, knowing what you know now?? or Are you living your life with no regrets?? I wanna know...
*I do not have any issues with Oprah as a whole. Shes great and generous and aware.*
2 comments:
2 years ago ... we had no income. still feel like i don't cause the job isn't what they promised it to be. are employers honest anymore? we just pay bills, for the most part, but I agree ... life is good. would i have lived on less loan $$ 2 years ago knowing how slow work is now ... I don't know. i really shouldn't complain ... we spend our money how we want, but we thought we'd have a certain income coming here and it's not panning out and I have a mortgage in Pitt and high living expenses here. i do keep thinking that i should live a more simple life now so we can pay off our debts and buy a house someday!
I hope you don't mind me making a comment. Two years ago my husband was still in school and working a part time job while I was at home with our son. 1. We didn't have a budget, 2. We took out bigger student loans then we needed too so we could have some money to play with, 3. instead of eating Mac and Cheese and top ramen and living like the poor college students we really were we digged a deep hole of loan debt, but we have been blessed with an awesome job that makes it easy to pay our student loan debt we have a beautiful home and a plan to be debt free including our house in 12 yrs.
Post a Comment